Sunday 12 June 2011

So where to next?

Thinking about where to go next - just me,my bike and my video camera that is.

I like the idea of cycling through multiple countries so first thoughts were about flying somewhere far flung and exploring different cultures. But, then I thought about cycling over a mountain range. Turns out, in Europe we have one of those so I think I might be able to come up with a viable route where I can cycle across 6 countries and a mountain range in 14 days without even getting on a plane .

A route like this would take me over Lake Geneva and Mont Cenis (6827 ft). Too ambitious? maybe, but only one way to find out I suppose. Not decided yet, but this is a definite contender... At this point I think starting last week in August would be realistic since the high mountain passes might not be accessible until late summer when all the snow has melted.


View Larger Map

However, the reason I want to challenge myself like this, isn't just physical - in fact the physical challenge isn't really all that important. I want to go on the kind of cycling journey that takes me away from my comfort zone and further away from the things I know.

I think the idea of cycling over the Alps, just doesn't scare me enough - yes the physical challenge would be immense, but there would be no cultural hurdles, no real sense of venturing into an unknown and all in all, just a bit too predictable.

My coast to coast France trip taught me that the hardest thing to deal with was being alone. Every other challenge I faced was minor really. And you have a lot more time to feel lonely when you don't have enough practical things to occupy your mind with; so the best way to deal with that is to find bigger practical challenges along the way. Cycling through countries with alien traditions, language, culture and politics would surely be more unpredictable and maybe just a little bit more scary.

So, thinking like that, I am now looking at alternative routes - maybe the Adriatic coast - Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia. Maybe through Turkey to Georgia. Just don't know yet although just booked time off work this wee to do it, starting last week in august, so better come up with a firm plan soon.

I think I need to do some wild stealth camping too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speed Learning Guitar

Practising the guitar is all about getting better at it. Repetition is necessary but repeat too much and progress can stop, as I found out. ...