Tuesday 29 March 2011

Steel frame bike vs Carbon frame bike

Well , after a few months waiting, my new steel framed audax/touring bike has arrived complete with Brooks B17 saddle and leather bar tape. Retro - all I need now is a tweed jacket right?

Ive only done about 30 miles on it so far but what a huge difference to my full carbon racer. Let me explain.


I have been riding a carbon race bike, so the real question is how does it ride compared to my full carbon racer?


Well, the steel ride is a lot smoother over uneven road surfaces - it seems to absorb the bumps rather than skip over them. The stiffer and lighter carbon bike would tend to jump and hop over bumpy surfaces making the ride uncomfortable by comparison. This means that the tryes stay in contact with the tarmac for longer on the heavier steel frame.

The steel forks put more weight up front too, which makes it a lot less twitchy than the carbon and so it feels better in the corners - safer  smoother.

Speed?
The one thing I dont get with the steel bike is the immediate response when I put my foot down. The carbon would fly from a standing start ,but needed more effort to maintain speed on the flat. This is one thing I really like about the heavier steel frame - momentum and coasting on flat or downhill.
On the steel bike I am definitely faster on the flats and downhill. Going uphill on the steel is.....different... it is slower going up than the carbon because its heavier, but at the same its less jerky  and Im more comfortable to I am happier settling into my rhythm on the long steep climbs.

Conclusion
I dont race bikes but I do like to go fast - who doesnt? I will gladly sacrifice one or two miles per hour average speed in favour of a smoother, more comfortable more enjoyable ride. Cycling for me is about having fun  - sometimes fast, sometimes slow admiring the views. I need my bike to help me out, not fight me when I want to go slow.

My next ride is a 100+ mile run from Ilfracombe to Plymouth - will have more to say about steel and the brooks saddle after that, as well as some video of the ride.
Steel is real.

7 comments:

  1. done over 1000 miles on my steel bike now. Brooks saddle is broken in and it is supremely comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hay Gavin Leone,The bike still looks so beautiful.You already recommend well.I want to buying a full carbon road bike .I think it is well service.It's frame very hard and also long lasting.Thanks for sharing

      Delete
  2. Now done nearly 200 miles. Saddle conclusion: if you're going to cycle more than 50 miles a day, then this saddle is unbeatable. Ive done over 130 miles in one day on this and I didnt think about the saddle at all. I

    If all you intend to do is ride a few miles round your locality, then you dont need this saddle and you will probably be more comfortable on a gel or well padded saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. typo: i meant to say ive done nearly 2000 miles! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this.carbon fiber wheelset road bike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow is just the simple word that may explain that how much I liked it. It was nicely stuffed with the material I was looking for. It’s great to be here though by chance.

    carbon bike frame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter , appreciate your comment! I've now done nearly 7000 miles on this bike, still going strong. Good luck wherever your wheels take you!

      Delete

Speed Learning Guitar

Practising the guitar is all about getting better at it. Repetition is necessary but repeat too much and progress can stop, as I found out. ...