Saturday 22 September 2012

Test rides, new bike and thieving little scrotes

About 6 weeks ago, I test rode (two up) a Triumph Tiger 800 and a KTM 990 SMT.  Both great bikes, but very different to each other. I really couldn't fault the tiger - fantastic engine easily pulling away in 6th gear from 25mph - but I think that was partly what put me off it - It really didnt seem to matter what gear you are in, just twist the grip and it goes - just as reliably as an automatic scooter. 

For me the Triumph Tiger [right] was just too smooth, too composed and too easy to ride. I knew I'd get bored with it. Not as pretty as the KTM [above] either.

Riding the KTM after the tiger made me laugh out loud - what a fun bike to ride; not as practical or as good value for money as the tiger but I didn't want my head get in the way of making this decision. I ride a motorbike for fun and adventure and the tiger just wasn't that much fun after an hour or so.  


so I traded in my Honda and bought the KTM that day, I didn't need to think about it, 2 minutes into the KTM test ride I had made the decision. 


A week later, after parking my new KTM overnight in east London, some scooter thieves tried to steel it by breaking the steering lock and chopping the ignition wires to start it (which they coudn't). My bad for not using disk lock or alarm. I know, I know! GRRR! Can't tell you how gutted I was arriving at an empty space where I  had parked my bike the night before. Awful moment.

Having had a few weeks to think about it, and consider how lucky I am not to have the life of a poor,uneducated, no hoper like those scooter thieves, I still think that they should have their hands cut off if they get caught. Yes, capital punishment please. No tolerance, if you get caught in the act or captured on video being a thief, then you should have some of your body parts removed- I don't agree with capital punishment for all crimes - but if you get caught red handed, then there is no doubt you are guilty!


Well, since then my damaged bike is still waiting on a new frame down at P&H motorcycles in Crawley. Maybe Ill get it back in a couple more weeks, but I sure do miss it! I'll be adding a datatool trak-king and disk lock alarm when I get it back. 


Shit, it's nearly winter already!! 

5 comments:

  1. It’s a good thing that you test drove the two motorbikes that you love the most. I bet that gave you some useful insight regarding which one is the best fit for you. The KTM 990 SMT is a great bike. It’s more fun and exciting to ride than the Triumph, and the narrow tank area makes it easier for you to just hunker down for beater aerodynamics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KTM bikes looks sporty and powerful.Its mechanics is highly advanced and speed oriented which makes it a best choice for racing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both KTM and Triumph Tiger are really good motorcycles, but they are both special in their own unique ways. I think the Triumph Tiger is good for starter motorcyclists. If you’re looking for a road trip challenge, on the other hand, I think the KTM would be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a point, Max. I actually test drove these two motorcycles and I was pretty amazed with how different they are when it comes to riding performance. I must say, KTM is much better for rocky road challenges. It’s so smooth to ride on a plain road too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a site from where you can buy brand new or second hand KTM bikes or more from your other favorite bike brands here.

    ReplyDelete

Speed Learning Guitar

Practising the guitar is all about getting better at it. Repetition is necessary but repeat too much and progress can stop, as I found out. ...